Sometimes we want to do something practical with CAD, other times it’s nice to kick back and relax with a fun project. So, in honor of Easter weekend, let’s take a look at how to work with complex, curved and solids in BricsCAD to draw a 3D Easter bunny.
How to make an Easter Bunny in BricsCAD:
- To begin, You can either freehand your bunny or trace an image.
To import an image:
- Drag and Drop your tracing image
- Use ImageAttach
- Draw or trace the outline shape of your bunny with a Spline or Polyline.Note: to create solids ensure that your Splines and Polylines are closed. You can convert a spline into a polyline with the PEdit command.
- Add contour lines.
- Create some ellipses. (you’ll be needing them later)
- Use the Manipulator and Mirror to put everything into position.
Note: This step gives a smoother finish to the final model. If you Loft one side and the mirror it, a “sharp” seam may be visible.
- Use the Align command to position the ellipses along the leg contours.
- Now Loft between the Splines or Polylines to create your body parts. Note: For greater control, use a guide curve.
- Use DmDeformPoint to round off the flat face.
- Repeat steps 7-8 for all body parts.
For the ears use DmDeformPoint to create one concave and one convex surface.
- To round off the tops of the legs:
- Don’t forget the tail! Use a Sphere.
- Move the eye outline along the Zaxis, away from the centerline of the bunny head.
- Extrude the eye outline until it overlaps the bunny head. This is you cutting object.
Hit Ctrl to extrude in the “Create” mode.
- Use the Manipulator to tilt the face to match the contour of the bunny head.
- Mirror the cutting object, legs and ear.
- Subtract the extruded eye solids from the head.
- Fillet the edges.
- Add the eyeball. Use A Sphere.
- Mirror it.
- Extrude a surface from the nose outline.
- Scale it so it overlaps the edges of the bunny head.
- Use Slice. Set the surface as a cutting object.
- Add Materials.
- And that’s all folks!
Enjoy this project?
Get started with BricsCAD
Permanent or subscription licenses that work in all languages, in all regions.