In this series, you will learn how to work with CAD, by following easy projects. Use only simple commands to build almost anything! For this tutorial, learn how to model a 3D chick.
How to Model a 3D Chick
Time to complete: 45 mins
Tutorial: Model a 3D Chick in BricsCAD
- In the Properties panel, change the Visual style to Conceptual.
- Draw a horizontal LINE, this will be useful as a center point later.
- Draw a SPLINE with a slight curve to it (see image). Use the first line as a starting point.
- Use DMTHICKEN to convert the spline into a 3D solid. It should look like a bent cylinder and will become the body of the chick.
- FILLET the edges.
- In the Properties panel, change the layer color to yellow.
- Draw a SPHERE towards the top of the body. This will become the head.
- Use a SPLINE to draw a wing shape. Make sure that the spline is closed.
- Use REGION to convert the spline into a region.
- COPY the region. Keep it in exactly the same location.
- Use DMDEFORMPOINT to deform the top region into a curved, wing shape.
- Use DMSTITCH to convert the 2 regions into 1 solid.
Tip: If you can not complete steps 9 – 12 you can simply EXTRUDE the spline and then FILLET the edges.
- Use the Manipulator to move the wing into position and rescale it, if required.
- Use LINE to draw a three-pointed chicken foot shape.
- Use LINE to draw a vertical “leg”.
- Use DMTHICKEN to convert the lines into solids.
- EXTRUDE the end of each toe at an angle.
Tip: Use Tab to switch between the length and angle dynamic input boxes.
- Use LCONNECT to connect the toes at the back of the foot.
- Use the Manipulator to move the leg into position, relative to the foot.
- FILLET the edge of the leg.
- Use the Manipulator to move the leg into position and rescale it, if required.
- MIRROR the leg and the wing.
- Reposition the legs, as required.
- Use SPLINE to draw the top and side profile of a beak.
Tip: If you find this too complicated, make a cylinder and taper it to a point.
- LOFT between the splines to create a beak.
- Use XEDGES to extract the edges of the surfaces at the back of the beak.
Tip: Use Tab on hover to toggle the selected entity.
- LOFT between the splines to create two surfaces that cover the back of the beak.
- Use DMSTITCH to convert the 6 regions into 2 solids.
- Use the Manipulator to move the beak into position and scale as required.
- Use SPHERE to draw an eye on the head.
- MIRROR the eye.
- Use the Structure Browser to hide any unwanted entities in the drawing.
- Use the Properties panel to change the color of the chick.
If you have completed all the above steps correctly, you should now have something like this:
Get started modeling a 3D chick in BricsCAD
Permanent or subscription licenses that work in all languages, in all regions.
Enjoy this project?
Why not try some other easy builds?